Octavivo Forums  

Go Back   Octavivo Forums > Music and Musicians

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 PM

Hi Bob,
Curious - would you like me to send you my 2 "Alto" bows for a comparison? One is the Arcus Sinfonia, the other the 3/4 carbon fiber viola bow. I won't need them for awhile (looks like we're moving, but still in San Diego) and I'd be curious what you and Patrick think of these compared with the prototype Chinese bows?

Jill
Old 01-15-2012, 09:05 PM

Gosh, I had no idea there were so many factors to take into consideration -- weight, length, balance, frog size, width and density of hair, thickness of strings -- not to mention size and strength of the hand wielding the bow or, indeed, what the ear expects to hear. It boggles the mind.

So far my favorite for my alto-tuned-as-tenor is my fiddle bow (a carbon Coda bow, 62ish grams) with my hand a little bit up on the stick. It isn't as loud as the viola bow, but is more sprightly, the tone mellow.

The alto specific bow sounds like a great idea. Nice to hold the frog and not be weighed down by the tip. But so does the lightness of the Arco. It sounds like I'm in for life long experimentation.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 AM

Mildred or Bob,

So if an Alto is tuned GDAE, I assume it is tuned down? What strings, than, do you use?

Jill
Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Try a 1/8-size cello set without the C for the G (IV), D (III), and A (II) strings. I like SuperSensitive Octavas, but others will also work. Cello high E strings are available, but not in fractional sizes. It's a lot to wind around the peg, but on the other hand the string has a small diameter. They'll be under-tensioned, but should work. I hope the folks who try this out will let us know the results.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM

I think I'll try this combination, Bob. Will be awhile before I have a report. I'd rather play the Alto with its viola tuning, but I do enjoy experimenting. Patrick is my mentor. LOL.

Thanks.

Jill
Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Can't find the Octava for cello of any size. Perlon core, right? Looked all over the internet. I found them for violin and viola.

Jill
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Jill-- My bad. I meant to say "Sensicore" because the Octava line isn't made for the larger instruments. I don't know why, but that's the way it is!