Octavivo Forums  

Go Back   Octavivo Forums > Music and Musicians

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up Alto Violin for the Violist (Tutorial)

I've just posted an obviously improvised tutorial about some very basic points for new players coming to the alto violin from the conventional viola. You can view it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E551DqDhr1k. I'd appreciate your comments on this tutorial and your suggestions for future tutorials.

Prepare for the most agonizing 13 minutes of your lives . . .
Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 AM

Not bad, though now I feel like a dufus because I've been doing half the things you say not to do in the video. Now I'm going to convert it and put it on my iPod so I can have it handy next time I play...
Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Administrator

I'm glad you found it at least partially helpful. I've already had a couple of questions asked about things I didn't cover in the video, so I am thinking of making a second one. If you have any questions you'd like to see answered, and that would help out the ever-burgeoning alto community, please let me know.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 PM

How about some recommendations for gripping the bow? I've tried some methods I've seen advocated for cello and they feel like the bow is about to fall out of my hand, so I tend to use a violin/viola grip. This has the problem that the bow often doesn't land squarely on the strings and I end up playing on the edge of the bow hair.

Now all we need is an introductory alto violin method and we may have some people playing alto as their first instrument.