Octavivo Forums  

Go Back   Octavivo Forums > Music and Musicians

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 PM

Default Things to sit on while playing alto (and presumably other things)

I managed to hurt my butt today trying to play alto on a bar stool, apparently a choice too tall. This means back to the nasty old chair which seems to be the best alternative so far. I'm having a hard time finding an ideal seat. Can anyone name a specific product which seems to work well? I have seen online an adjustable "cello throne" (apparently also used for drums); does anyone have experience with this?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Snortar-- I actually found a decent folding chair on ebay a while back. It had a cushioned back and seat covered with fabric instead of the more ubiquitous vinyl, and it was made of wood, not metal. I bought four because they weren't available singly, and when I had octet rehearsals at the house, this is what we used. I looked again on ebay just now, and the exact type I bought are not shown, but there are others that are similar.

I mention this because I can't sit way out at the front of a folding chair that has a cantilevered seat, if you follow, because they are usually made of metal and can't support my weight. Even my slim wife managed to bend one just by sitting out on the end. The type I eventually bought was made of wood, and the front of the chair is directly supported by the legs. The folding mechanism is different than your typical church chair.

You need to chat with some cellists about seats and seating, and whether they (or you) play up on the edge of the chair seat or fully back with your back supported by the back of the chair. Just about any chair you use will make you uncomfortable after a while if you don't take breaks. There are companies that specialize in chairs for musicians. I think Wenger is one, but there are others. These chairs are usually cushioned, but not lavishly. They are also usually available in several different heights, which might be helpful for you.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Administrator

OK, found it. Look under cello chairs

http://www.wengercorp.com/Chairs/Specialty.html
Old 02-06-2011, 02:09 AM

Thanks. I was attempting to sit on something with a rounded edge as recommended in the video and it happened to be too tall. Bad things happened to my butt, though it got the instrument nearly vertical, which worked pretty well positionwise. Onward to the next attempt...
Old 02-17-2011, 01:33 AM

I use a standard backless musician's chair, and find it works well. I'm fortunate that I haven't had to adjust it!