Octavivo Forums  

Go Back   Octavivo Forums > Makers and Repairers

Notices

Old 08-22-2017, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default Replace This Category? Need Your Thoughts.

I am thinking of reorganizing this site so that there are individual forums for the various instruments. If so, should the new forums replace this particular one for makers and repairers, or be in addition to it? Chime in and let me know your thoughts!

--RJ (Bob) Spear
Old 08-22-2017, 11:06 PM

I would be happy either way. So far, there haven't been many posts in this particular category, but since most of the repairers we may visit (even for a sound post check) won't have heard of the octet, it might be good to keep this category to encourage people to post questions and answers on this topic. Bob, do you think the making-and-repairing questions are instrument specific, or apply to the octet as a whole? I guess that's the question.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Administrator

I would say that making and repairing posts would relate to the entire New Violin Family. They are all essentially violins; only the sizes are different. I had envisioned the forum to also be a place where those of us who support the octet could hash over certain questions such as where to find cases for the alto, tailpieces and tail cords, strings, etc., but in the years since I started the forum a lot of these issues have been resolved (although not all). In any case, I've come to the conclusion that this forum will be little-used until the number of instruments out in the world reaches sufficient numbers to attract the luthier community at large. My goal, if I live long enough . . .

Still, I can see that there are almost enough alto and tenor players now to justify a forum specific to their needs and interests. I'll put my thinking cap on-- it's sort of like the sorting hat in Harry Potter novels, only not as accurate.

Thanks for your input.