Octavivo Forums  

Go Back   Octavivo Forums > Music and Musicians

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 PM

Default String thickness/tension on Alto

Hello. I've been using the Supersensive/Sensicore Perlon Extra Long Viola strings (ss4300) along with my alto. They are ok, but to be honest, when I play my standard 16 1/2" viola with its mediocre strings, in my lap like a cello, the thicker strings feel more responsive than the extra long viola strings on the alto. I remember Bob saying that the specific Alto strings made by supersensitive were a little thick and tended to mess with the adjustment of the instrument, so I've stayed away from them. Wondering if anyone has any experience with them as standard viola strings seem a little thin for the instrument. Any thoughts? Thanks, Glenn
Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 PM

I think most of the complaints about the Sensicores has been about the A string, the standard version of which is a wire that doesn't match the other three. I can't speak for the Kevlar strings. The recommendation someone made here (I can't remember who) of using a tenor viol high G string in place works fairly well, though it is still a little thin for my tastes. As for the Sensicore C, G, and D, they seem thick enough for me. Some day when I win the lottery I might get some gut strings made.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default String's the Thing

The original sets of SuperSensitive strings for the original Hutchins alto are really entry-level strings. At the time they were developed, the instruments were still works in progress. Everyone knew that there was still work to be done. But beggars can't be choosers, and having any strings was better than having none at all. That said, I think the A was an especial source of complaint because if its wiry sound. This has been a problem on other sets, too, especially the tenor top string.

The small community of alto players was very creative in adapting other strings for use, but my impression was that solving one problem usually created another. Some strings had to be tuned up, others tuned down, etc., which is never wholly satisfying. When we discovered that the X-long viola Sensicores would just fit the alto, we found we had a much better, although much thinner, string. On my long-neck models, the A was often near the breaking point, but people put up with it because they felt it was marginally superior to the original strings.

The arrival of the Kevlar A has been a great step forward. I'm practically sold out of my first order, and the feedback from all of you has been 100% favorable. I'll be at the ASTA convention next week. John Cavanaugh will also be there, and we will be discussing future string offerings. I get the impression that John would like to upgrade the original line as well as have an upgraded line, but the question is whether the market has grown big enough to justify even a limited run of a new set. We'll be having some frank discussions about the future.

When I get back from ASTA, I should have the first prototypes of the alto Kevlar D to match the A. I'll keep you posted, but now is the time to send in your comments and suggestions. I'll pass them along and we'll see what happens.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 PM

Ready yet to cough up a few thousand to supply us all with extra-long Dominants?
Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Default The Ugly Truth

Truth be told, Snortar, none of the other big string manufacturers shows the least bit of interest in producing strings for the New Family. I've talked with individuals from Thomastik and D'Addario (among others) who would be happy to sell us what they already make, but who walk away from any idea of the R&D it would take to produce a competitive string for a niche market. I suspect that if the movement takes hold, their interest will increase, but for now it's just SuperSensitive and a few individuals who make strings by hand, and the latter is not really an option for people who have struggled just to afford a Chinese import.