Octavivo Forums  

Go Back   Octavivo Forums > Music and Musicians

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Administrator

I think it's more prudent to say that the fine tuners will damp the tailpiece. What that does to the sound of the violin remains to be seen. I have experienced situations where damping the tailpiece completely eliminated a bad wolf, and situations where it caused one. I don't care for the swing-arm type because they are prone to all kinds of misadjustement and rattling, and because if the tail cord should break those arms can gouge or crack the top.

I assume the tailpieces were the all-metal type, either gray or black, that are made by Wittner, Thomastik, and some others. Mechanically, they are a much better choice. Visually, well . . . mechanically they are a much better choice.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:28 PM

Been there, done that. One of those things once made a nasty gouge in the top of a nice violin that belonged to my grandfather. I'm going to see if I can retrofit ball-end strings to Hill-type tuners.

Are you going to be okay with Irene coming at you?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Yes, we'll be OK with Irene. We're far enough inland so that we'll just get brushed by the storm fringe, or so they tell us. Winds at 35 with gusts to 50. We'll know better in about 12 hours where the storm track will lie. However it works out, I will probably spend most of Sunday in the workshop hogging wood out of the back of Patrick's new alto.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Fine tuner comments

I have looked at the d’Addario ball adapter (I think $10 for 5). It is also supplied with the Kaplan special anti whistling aluminum wound e string $7.50 to $10.00.

There is the Gatz carbon fiber fine tuner that will accommodate the ball end strings. But it raises the string above the fret on the tailpiece. It is $15.00 and does look good.

There has been a good discussion lately in Violinist.com on fine tuners. Worth finding.

I have drawn a fine tuner that will take the ball end and drag the string over the fret of the tail piece. It will keep the bridge to tailpiece fret distance constant. When the latest chicken coup is finished I plan to make one to experiment with. It is minimal therefore should be light.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:22 PM

I saw the Gatz one online but balked at the price. I can't see why someone doesn't make a version of the Hill one with two prongs.

Good luck in your experiment!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:13 AM

Default I misspoke

The available carbon fiber tuner is Bogaro & Clemente not Gotz.

With the manufacturing, distribution and marketing costs, I feel that the $15 to $20 price for the carbon fiber tuner is entirely reasonable. The $5 to $7 for the Hill/Gotz which has been manufactured for 100 years is reasonable since the tooling was paid for before the great depression.

The Gotz is a small one similar to the Hill.

My problem is that I like the aluminum wound e string. But, the center wire is a smaller diameter than the bare steel e. The aluminum wound e broke shortly after mounting it to the Hill or Gotz tuner that Bob supplied with my mezzo.

Is either the hook on the Gotz or Hill thicker?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Administrator

The hooks on the loop-end tuners have been a plague on my business from the beginning. They are almost always stamped metal, and they have a burred edge that very nicely cuts through the string. Instead of making them correctly, modern business practice dictates that the way to address to problem is to make and sell little hard-to-handle bushings that fit over the hook.

Get a very small, fine, and cheap Chinese round file and file off the burr. The part of the hook against which the string is tightened should look like it was made from a steel rod, not a plate.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:02 PM

I feel like been-there-done-that. When I had the alto and took it in to get fine tuners, it very nicely cut the A string. I was planning on filing them down and for good measure wrap them with a layer of electrical tape. (Those covers are ridiculous.)